Critics say that several committee members have financial ties to biotech businesses that could color the panel's report, expected to be published soon, potentially giving short shrift to health and environmental worries.
- takes millions of dollars in funding from biotechnology companies
- invites sponsors like Monsanto to sit on high-level boards overseeing the NRC's work
- invites industry-aligned, pro-GMO scientists to author NRC reports
- draws scientific conclusions based on industry science
- operates at times as a private contractor for corporate research